Following Jesus 165
Following Jesus: The Progress of the Pilgrim.
God not only warns His children about Vanity Fair, and the inherent wickedness of Vanity Fair, but also about the worthlessness of Vanity. I John 2:17 says, “The world is passing away with its desires. But the one who does the will of God lives forever.”
Vanity Fair is not eternal. It is temporary. It will cease to exist and will disappear. A force and authority greater than the world will make this happen. That force and authority is the sovereign God of the Scriptures.
Not only will Vanity Fair disappear, but so too its lusts. The sinful desires of the world will eventually cease. God will make it so.
What hope is there for anyone who is enslaved in the prison known as Vanity Fair? There is only one hope. Faith in the deliverance or salvation in the person and finished work of Jesus Christ on the cross. Salvation from the penalty of sin (justification), ongoing salvation from the power of sin (sanctification) and ultimately salvation from the presence of sin (glorification).
- God so loved the world (Vanity Fair) that He gave His one and only Son (John 3:16).
- God sent His one and only Son that we might live through Him (I John 4:9)
- The Father has sent the Son to be the Savior of the world (I John 4:14).
- Jesus Christ died to the propitiation (atoning sacrifice) for our sins and not only for ours, but also for the sins of the whole world (I John 2:2).
- Carefully evaluate friendships and relationships to ensure they are not avenues for temptation and sin. Psalm 1:1 – “Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor stands in the path of sinners, not sits in the seat of the scornful.”
- Fill Your Mind with God’s Word in order to guard yourself against loving the world. Psalm 1:2 – “But His delight is in the law of the Lord, and in His law he meditates day and night.” Psalm 119:9 – “How can a young man keep his way pure? By keeping it according to Your word.”
- Flee from attitudes you discover in your life that are places of temptation and sin. 2 Timothy 2:22 – “Flee youthful lusts and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart.”
- Make every effort to have an accountability support system in your life. This may be one, or more, individual(s) who will encourage you in the faith, ask the tough questions, and be someone you can trust. Proverbs 27:17 – “Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.”
The Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals is member supported and operates only by your faithful support. Thank you.